https://fondazionetorlonia.org/images/img_contenuti2/427-10s-485-dsc9279.jpg

Acquisition of part of the ancient sculptures of Bartolomeo Cavaceppi

The extraordinary collection of ancient marble, terracotta and bronze models and casts from Cavaceppi’s studio constituted the very first set of the Torlonia Collection, destined in all their splendour to adorn the main residences of the Family: the villa on the Via Nomentana, Palazzo Bolognetti (later Torlonia) in Piazza Venezia and then (in 1820) Palazzo Giraud, on the modern day Via della Conciliazione. At the start of the nineteenth century, in the light of a public auction, the Torlonia heritage came to include the famous collection of Bartolomeo Cavaceppi (1717–1799), the most illustrious restorer of ancient marble works of the eighteenth century. Patronised by the most important Italian collectors, among whom the name of Cardinal Albani stands out, he owned and restored thousands of articles, even purchasing and storing the last exemplars of some of the most ancient Roman collections from the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, at the time being slowly dispersed (such as those of Pio da Carpi, Caetani, Cesarini, etc.).